Thursday, November 14, 2002

Not Homeless Happy but not so happy
Happy is his name. This guy i always see asking for money, but theres more to it that what meets the eye. He claims to be the owner of an art store on Main St., which really leads me to question why hes asking for money. Well the first time I saw him me and my girlfriend were walking down Broad St. minding our own business. He came up to us , on a bicycle mind you, and asked if we had any money that he could have to catch the bus, he apparently didn't have any change. Well the first question that popped into my head was why he needed to take the bus if he had a bicycle. He continued on to state that hes not just begging for money because he owns the art store on main, and hes just trying to get home. This seeemed slightly reasonable, but after more thinking , this guy was obisously needing the money for a different reason. He showed us his wallet with all the credit cards and the drivers liscense, trying to prove his point that hes not usually a begger. Im quite taken by this scam, it seems more reasonable and less confrontational. He obviously thought this through, and it had been beautifully executed. Well Meaghan and I had no spare change anyway so we stated so, and continued down the street. After he was out of sight, we began disscusing what had just happened, and how it really didn't make any sense considering that he was riding a bicycle. Well this happened a month to two months ago, and I haden't really given it much more thought since then. But recently I saw him again, pulling the same scam. He approached some other unsuspecting college student, giving him the same spheal as he had done to us, showing the credit cards and all. I just instantly chuckled in my head, not knowing before that this could have been a re-occuring scandel. I just couldn't believe it, I'm dissapointed in Happy. Whatever he was trying to use the money for, drugs or whatnot, he didn't get any change this time either. So now im wondering what he really needs the change for. Maybe he just likes the sport of it, and having some extra change around. I mean this sounds like a good idea to me, when ever I am bored I could be making some extra change with a carefully planned out approach to other college students, such as: "Oh hey man could you help me out for a second, I just missed the bus and I need to get back to my doorm. Could you spare some change for a taxi..(of course I would have to dressed nicely and talking in an english acent)" . I would then go on to say that If I got their number or name or something then I could pay them back when I got back to my dorm....this is good idea. OR I could walk around fast food places saying I just am needing a buck or two to pay for my lunch, this would be less effictive though. Im also thinking about playing my guitar on the street to see what kind of change that will bring in, or I could offer balloon animals..but that needs preperation and balloons, which I don't have. Well whatever it is I can do, I would just like to thank Happy for inspiring me to get off my lazy bum and make some spare change....um yes, I think im going out right now for my first swindle, wish me luck.

No comments: