Tuesday, November 05, 2002

Another Homeless sighting:
Norman (I actually know his name)
Ok, so I took a homeless man's blanket. He forced it upon me, well me and my girlfriend. We had just gotton off of the bus, a stop before we should have because Meaghan was feeling ill...she was gonna puke. So we got off, and sat against the brick wall. It was a bit of a breezer day, kinda cold out and we were both shivering. Then this guy comes out of nowhere. He askes if we need a blanket and we naturally said no, being that we didn't want to take a homeless prized possesion. Although he had a whole bag of new looking blakets, it just didnt seem right. He asked agian, "Do you NEED a blanket?" We said no, its ok, but thank you. He then asked if we were waiting for the bus and I quickly stated yes, because it would have been eaiser to explain than feeling sorry for him, but meaghan said No we are not waitng for the bus, im sick and cant walk right now. He came closer, and peered into my eyes and said "Do you all have a place to go to?", Woah he thought we were homeless. Well we were kinda tattered looking, but not homeless thats for sure. He grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes to see if I was lying to him. I said yes we have a place to go to. "Listen man, I live on the streets, this is my home. If you ever need anything, my name is Norman" he said. "Here, how about you take a blanket to keep warm now". He asked what color we wanted..and we said it didnt really matter. He handed us a nicely pressed pale green blanket, it was of the cheap flannel variety, of course he probally got it for free at a homeless shelter. "In jesus' name" he added as he still held my hand, staring in my eyes. "You want a doughnut?" Meaghan asked (oh yeah we had just come from the pancake place where meaghan threw up a couple times, but before that we went to krispy kreme. We were so hungry we got a dozen doughnuts, but only ate 2 and a half before we were sick of them, so we decied that doughnuts were not the best thing to stuff ourselves with)... Any way he said no to the doughnuts, becuse he was going to get some beer, and that was his "doughnuts". We laughed, in a creeped out kind of way, and bid him good bye. We waited until he got out of sight, then started on our way back to the dorms contemplating what just happened. Norman, where ever you are, God bless you.

No comments: