Wednesday, October 16, 2002

The Homeless People of Richmond (and crazy people)

Legless Homeless Guy:
Carts him self around in a wheel chair with a blanket covering his stubs. Occasionally another homeless guy will push him around. Ive seen him crossing the road slowley while a car is about to hit him, and he muttered "oh here we go", he made it across but not with out hitting a few pot holes. Me and my girlfriend always try to help him, cause hes the best of them all. I gave him some coupons for a free hamburger at hardez, and she bought him lunch one day....

Biker Quacker
I dont know much about this crazy guy. He looked homeless, dirty and all, but I dont know for sure. He quacks down the street riding his bike, yeah i said quacks. He quacked and waved at me walking down the street, and i quacked back as if to say have a nice day and he kept riding along. After a few seconds i burst out laughing, rolling on the ground. I've only seen him twice, but it sure makes my day when i do see him. I dont know if he thinks hes a duck, or he just knows the quacking language. I dont know if he even knows english...?

No cell phone lady
Now, this lady I've only seen once, on the bus. She was cursing out profanities, and making all sorts of noise. At first i thought she was talking to someone, but i looked around and no one was talking to her, and everyone on the bus was looking at her wierd. So I guessed that she was either crazy or has had a bad day or something. I continued to watch her and realized she kept putting her hand up to her ear and talking, like it was a cell phone. She kept yelling into it, and when she hung up she pressed a button on her hand. She kept doing this the whole ride, and it was entertaining but i felt bad. I guess she had no one to talk to, so she pretended to be talking in a cell phone to someone, cursing and laughing it up. She appeared to be homeless, shaggy and carring alot of bags with clothes and newspapers. Maybe she just needed a friend to talk to, but she seemed a little too hostile for me to just go up and say hi. Maybe next time i see her i will buy her one of those fake candy cell phones, so she will actually be talking into something other than her imaginary phone.

Harmonica player
This guy likes to play the harmonica for money. He came up to me and told me straight, he just wanted money to buy alcohol and get drunk, and maybe a hamburger to go with it. Well i was on my way somewhere, so he agreed to follow me and play while we walked, so i couldnt refuse. It was good, i'll admit. I liked the music, little blues and ska mix. When he finished I asked him if he made it up himself, he hesitated for a minute as if he didnt expect me to say that. He said yeah, i made it.. so i gave him 2 bucks..and said if i see him again sometime, and he gives me another song I would glady give him my change. He put me in a good mood for the rest of the night.

No change Veteran
This old man was sitting on the corner with another homeless man. I walked by them, said hi and continued walking away. This old man yelled out "hey can you help an veteran?". He had a ragged hat on, with a scraggly beard circumfrancing his mouth which contained an estimated 4 teeth. I stopped and turned around sayin "sorry, i dont have any change." (which was the truth, im broke with negative 50 somethin in my bank), and he replied back "I dont want any fuckin change, I want some help". Immeaditly the other homeless guy started laughing, and so did I. So I walked up to the two, and asked what he needed help with. He again stated that he doesnt want any change, and he had toothless smile that i couldnt walk away to. He explaind how hard it is for old war veterans such as him self ,and I asked again what he needed help with. He said he doesnt want any change, but some bills, a couple bucks. I laughed, and the other man did too saying "this man here is crazy". I said "Im sorry i really dont have any money", so they said thanks anyway and god bless, "you too", i replied, and went on my way.

I'll keep you posted on the streets of Richmond

No comments: