Thursday, May 06, 2004

Green Carrot
The use of money seems to be just as the carrot is to the donkey, leading us on with sweat on our brow, until we reach our deathly destination. We hope for that reward, and indeed we get an insatiable piece now and then, but the whole of the carrot is never devoured. This burden is something I wish to escape, but I know not how. This carrot has been worshiped enough to the extent that it has godly powers over men, controlling who lives and who dies. There is no refuge even in my land, because it is expected that I pay for the use of my country. Where can I go that I will live in peace without being in debt for my happiness? For even a child cannot be born without owing something to a system that it does not choose to belong. I love our people, but that does not imply consent to their beliefs, or their actions.

No comments: