Thursday, May 06, 2004

The Mental Block in a Beverage

“The greater part of what my neighbors call good I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent any thing, it is very likely to be my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?” - Henry David Thoreau in Walden-

Just as Thoreau refused all alcoholic drinks because, so he said, they might destroy his taste for water, I say, killing germs is the only thing alcohol is good for. But yet it seems it has been adopted as this nation’s coveted and single indulgence, a reward at the end of a hard day’s work. Yet, in adults and teenagers alike, it is also a vehicle for escape from this very system we call a nation. Again, my opinion is that if an escape is needed it can be obtained simply by flipping on a mental switch which can just as easily distort perception, without the headache or drunken stupor. This is my “high”, as some may put it, all while legally and pleasantly gained. Though, I see that most do not have to courage to apply themselves directly in solving their own problems, or even to use more energy than they have to for making themselves feel good. I see it all around me, and as the quote above states the core of my feelings, it is as if I’m the odd man out. To see that it is so accepted and never questioned makes me quickly interrogate my own conscience. For there must be something wrong, with me…or as I finally concluded it must be something wrong in those whom I observe using this substance. I regretfully admit to experiencing this drunken state, some three years ago at the age of 17, and resolved to never intake it again. Is it that I have matured much quicker than my peers?, for the majority that I see pays no thought to the morality and physical implications that this voluminous intake of alcohol creates. I feel that it would tear down all the morals I hold, some do not understand this, but I am my own harsh judge and to have drink would be to go against my nature, and I say it’s against my religion, for I see them as the same. I suppose some drink out of something society labels “peer pressure” and others may drink from normality, as derived from family and friends. But very few at my age drink for the savor of taste, which in a beverage is necessary for full enjoyment. So, it is that they must drink for drunkedness - a state of drowning life and purpose, as I see it. Undoubtedly it changes personal qualities and emotions, only temporarily. Some welcome this change because they depressingly don’t like who they are, and looking for the quick and easy way out, resort to alcohol in hopes they might like who they become. This, to me, is the most painful part of humanity to know, for us to think that substances can change us positively. Rather, I hope most will realize, as I do, that any change must start in the mind, be it physical or emotional. There are no external objects which can create change on the inside. This mind is the most powerful form of “alcohol” or any substance, for it does as the will commands; as a high state of consciousness can just as easily be obtained by climbing high in a tree. This state of mind, derived from mental tribulations, easily creates a fulfilling peace and this is worth the effort – and, if the individual is willing, it can remain permanent. As I say it is merely hope that I hold for this to be understood because I do not hold myself to be one to educate or preach, or even use actions to affect life changes on others. As to my writing, I simply hope to invoke further thought in the reader, and do not expect change, for this must come about by the individual, in his or her own realizations. This is the only effective (and also highly enjoyable) way to reformation and enlightenment. So just ponder and discover where it is you want to go. Know that what we put in our bodies deeply affects our mental perceptions and can support or degrade the happiness we seek.

No comments: