Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Being vegan has its ups and downs,
I’ve found it difficult to explain my reasons if someone hasn’t contemplated it themselves
simply because we all think differently and reason what we will
but I have also found that people are deeply interested in it as well
although they have not the strength or caring capacity to stop doing something they know is self defeating
we got into a conversation about diet at work, and you can imagine a bunch of manly men
set in their own ways late in life, men who lift furniture and drive big trucks for a living,
and someone brought up that they don’t eat any pork,
and others agreed that they try not to, mainly because it is one of the least healthy of the acceptability consumed animals
but the guy who first proclaimed he didn’t eat pork had different reasons
one being that it is a dirty animal to begin with
and also that eating this type of farm animal also produces a mental change
for instance
these animals live in fear and that produces hormones in their blood that is consumed in the meat
so, he suggested, that this fear is passed along to those who eat it
I understood it as a more spiritual/mental degration, which he was hinting at
but didn't come out with it because it may have been a taboo
but my question was, or rather I stated, I didn’t eat any animals, for slightly those reasons
why did this theory apply to only pigs
these fellows saw no substance in this, but merely food for their empty bodies
One agreed that they would like to be vegan, but had not the moral strength to do so,
maybe he felt this way as we all would like to travel the world or be millionaires
but how is it we can hold back other passions, for we know they too are wrong, and not hold back when it comes to food
is it that we are already conditioned to the idea of necessary death for a meal
for me it takes little moral strength, once I was properly informed I could not pretend I didn’t know, for to betray myself is to scream mutiny and jump overboard
I do not wish to be blind when it comes to what’s on the inside, and I simply do what I believe is right
while others seemed to just think this fools talk, and possibly blasphemy against America itself
it needed to be known where I stand, although my reasons were not detailed or convincing
I was still respected
and it is known that I can work twice as hard with a clear conscience and a good PB&J

No comments: