Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Fingers of God

If I were to act without thinking I would be a finger of god
And if I were to die tonight, it wouldn’t be the first time
Perchance I live but another day
It would only be to wipe the dust away
For a sleeping giant lies in these hills
Ready to awaken at mornings promise
Forever waits yet another eve
And my skin still blankets what I can’t help to believe
It is just that, the potential destiny and looming uncertainty
That propels me to start life floating along the canal
It is there that I get layered and accustomed
Warmed up and numbed, growing our elite opposable thumb
But what is it all for,
Only to peel away and cry with the layers
Then to find that our substance is all the same
Nothing special, nothing to gain
But connected at the heart and surviving on shared love
This is the essence that keeps me at bay
Or rather, keeps me here for another day

No comments: